Owner Beth Staley fulfilled her dreams of working with their dogs and owning their own business. Both left the corporate world and opened Happy Dog Barkery in April 2004. She was inspired by her father, William Staley, who for many years owned ClearView TV Sales & Service in the Clearing neighborhood, near Midway, in Chicago. Beth always knew a traditional 9-5 job wasn’t for her, and boy oh boy, did she get her wish!
Beth has baked since childhood and it was a natural step to start baking for her dogs when she found her own lab had allergies. Beth found a few recipes and started baking!
Beth prides herself on creating the best dog bakery around and the queen of dog birthday cakes. All dogs that visit get to try some liver cake and even the finicky dogs beg for more. Beth is active in dog rescue and you will frequently find a foster dog behind the counter.
Other businesses include:
Happy Dog Kitchen
My Best Friend Specialty Pet Bakery
In the Press
- June 2021 – Happy Dog Barkery is featured in the Unique in Suburbia section of Glancer Magazine
- May 29, 2021 – Zoom class for the students of Pierce Downers to raise funds for West Suburban Humane Society
- October 2018 – Kale Chips and Gracie make the list of store mascots in Pets+ magazine.
- August 29, 2018 – Our beautiful cakes got a mention in Parade!
- January 22, 2017 – Beth makes an appearance on Fox32 Sunday Morning showcasing the bakery treats. Watch it here.
- July 2016 – Our birthday cake is featured business in the Chicago Magazine Extreme Pet Pampering feature story.
- June 16, 2016 – Daily Mail UK publishes Kale’s story.
- June 16, 2016 – Happy Dog Barkery and Kale Chips featured on Metro UK.
- June 16, 2016 – New York Post covers Happy Dog and Kale’s weight loss.
- January 24, 2016 – Eagle Creek Apartments writes a blog post about Happy Dog Barkery.
- December 2015 – CBS Sunday Morning with Toto the schnauzer and Spatz the goat!
- November 24, 2015 – Wall Street Journal includes Happy Dog in a story about Kale and pet obesity.
- November 12, 2015 – Beth and Kale’s follow-up appearance on The Doctors.
- September 23, 2015 – Chicago Red Eye reports on Kale Chips weight loss.
- September 22, 2015 – WGN Around Town appearance to promote Barkapalooza.
- September 20, 2015 – Featured on Your Chicago Weekend with Eleni Masouras
- June 5, 2015 – Kale and Happy Dog are featured on BarkPost
- May 2015 – West Suburban Living Magazine feature article on For the Love of Pets.
- February 2015 – Beth and Kale’s first appearance on The Doctors.
- January 22, 2015 – The Book of Barkley wrote about our fabulous bakery on their blog.
- November 3, 2014 – Named as The Honest Kitchen Store of the Month
- September 2014 – Barkapalooza and Happy Dog promo with WGN Around Town
- March 4, 2016 – Laura Young covers dog parties and includes Happy Dog on her Chicago Now blog.
- March 2012 – Pet Product News includes Beth in their article on Selling Dog Treats.
- March 18, 2010 – People highlights the Peanut Butter treats at Happy Dog.